Jill C. Flanagan, M.D.
- My Specialties
Dr. Flanagan was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and was raised in South Florida. She ventured back to the mid-Atlantic to attend The George Washington (GW) University for college. As a Division I gymnast, Dr. Flanagan sought a school which had a balance between excellent academics and athletics. While she was in college, she graduated summa cum laude, and was accepted early into medical school at GW, and therefore continued to stay in Washington, DC. She graduated medical school with honors, and her performance enabled her to match at GW and complete her orthopaedic surgery residency at her home institution. Following her residency, Dr. Flanagan moved to Georgia to complete her pediatric orthopaedic surgery fellowship at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA).
Prior to beginning her pediatric orthopaedic career at COA, Dr. Flanagan spent several months pursuing additional training in Baltimore at Sinai Hospital at the International Center for Limb Lengthening. The center is recognized internationally for its treatment of limb deficiencies and limb length inequalities. Since her time in Baltimore, Dr. Flanagan has performed a considerable number of limb lengthening and deformity surgeries. She is well trained with the most advanced techniques and technologies such as using the Taylor Spatial Frame, TL-Hex frame, and Precice limb lengthening nail. She has also been invited back as faculty to teach others how to perform limb lengthening surgeries at the renowned Baltimore Limb Deformity Course.
While Dr Flanagan has interest in the entire spectrum of pediatric orthopaedic surgery, her special focuses of expertise include:
- Limb deformity and limb lengthening
- Osteogenesis imperfecta
- Improving bone health in children
- Adolescent scoliosis (especially in females)
As a mother, Dr. Flanagan feels that she has a keen appreciation of the emotional demands a family endures when treating a child with an orthopaedic condition. She believes in a "team approach" of the child (patient), family, and doctor all collaborating to make a decision together with regards to treatment recommendations.
In her spare time, she enjoys running, traveling, and spending time with her husband and two boys. She is a die-hard Washington Redskins fan, but is learning to cheer for the Atlanta Falcons as well.
There are several people that work closely with Dr Flanagan to improve the quality of care for the patients in her practice.
- Nancy Kralovich, PA-C: Nancy works alongside Dr. Flanagan in the office and in the operating room. She also sees patients independently. She serves as the coordinator for the COA limb program.
- Dana Joyner: Dana is Dr. Flanagan's patient care coordinator. She has been working closely with Dr. Flanagan for over 5 years and is a trememdous asset.
- Medical Scribe - For most of Dr. Flanagan's office hours, she utilizes a medical scribe. A scribe is imperative for ensuring accurate documentation of your childs' visits. It also allows Dr. Flanagan to focus her attention solely on your child and less on clicking on a laptop.
To schedule an appointment, call 404-255-1933 or schedule online now.